A Brief History of this Ward
The name Scartho is from the Old Scandinavian Skarth+haugr, or “mound near a gap”. It appeared as Scarhou in the 1086 Domesday Book.
Up until the end of the Second World War it was a village; subsequent post-war expansion on the greenfield areas between Scartho and Grimsby has resulted in the village becoming a suburb although it still retains a clear identity. Its population has been boosted due to decent urban developments such as the one at Scartho Top.
The latest Census puts the population at 9,380 the majority of whom are over 45 years of age.