North East Lincolnshire
Tel: 01472 878594 or 07837 238884
Grimsby RUFC was firmed in 1885 and is one if the oldest Rugby Union Clubs in the country.
Mr Walter Alford Green become the very first President of teh club and on teh 21st November 1885, Grimsby played a team from Hull at Grimsby which resulted in a win for the Hull side.
In November 1910 played against the Northern Union (League Rules) on the Boulevard (now Duke of York Gardens), some famous names from the time took part in this game; Wattle Davis the Welsh International to name one of them.
In January 1923 the Rugby club was formed on a proper basis and the first game was played away at Gainsborough, with Grimsby winning by 31 points to 5. These early home games took place at Charltons on Littlefield Lane until a pitch was secured, thanks to Mr S.S. Northcote at Fairfield in Scartho.
A return match against Gainsborough was arranged at home when over 2,000 spectators watched Grimsby win by 62 points to nil.
After the Second World War, Grimsby continued to play rugby. First on the land situated at the bottom of Peakes Lane, then on Barratts Recreation ground near Scartho swimming pool.
It was not until 1961 that, with the good grace of the Earl Yarborough and some hard fund raising by the members, the club moved to it’s present location on Springfield Road, Scartho.
Joining the club
If you wish to join or support the club, please visit the website.